Aquaculture America 2017 was the first AquaChallenge event sponsored by Alltech. This was a forum that featured “Aqua Innovation Talks” by students and “Career Talks” by industry leaders. Groups of participating students were given a choice of two topics and tasked with preparing a 10-minute presentation on innovative solutions to address the challenge using their own areas of expertise. Winners were given cash prizes and all participants received registration to the 2017 Alltech “One17” Conference in Lexington, KY. We give special thanks to Alltech's Victoria Liu for her hard work.
Here are the winning teams and their topics:
- 1st Place – “The Aggies”
- From: Texas A&M University and Kentucky State University
- Topic: Adding Organic Acids to Fish Diets to Minimize Antibiotic Usage
- 2nd Place – “Aqua Tigers”
- From: Auburn University
- Topic: 100% Plant -Based Feed for Antibiotic Free Aquaculture
- 3rd Place – “Collaborative Innovators"
- From: The University of New Hampshire and Auburn University
- Topic: Cyanobacteria as an Alternative Ingredient to Fish meal in Fish Feed