The USAS membership is quite diverse. In 2013, there were over 900 full members and over 150 are students.
Anyone with an interest in aquaculture issues, opportunities, programs and events in the United States will benefit from joining the United States Aquaculture Society (USAS), a chapter of the World Aquaculture Society (WAS). The World Aquaculture Society is a worldwide professional organization dedicated to the exchange of information and the networking among the diverse aquaculture constituencies interested in the advancement of the aquaculture industry, through the provision of services and professional development opportunities. As the World Aquaculture Society becomes more globally involved, the role of the USAS is increasingly important for the U.S. aquaculture community.
- Unified voice for addressing issues of importance to the U.S. Aquaculture Community.
- Net-working opportunities through a broad-based membership
- Semi-annual newsletter with timely information reported by regional editors and USAS members.
- Professional growth and development through service as an elected officer, elected Board member, chair of a working committee or organizer of a Special Session or Workshop.
- Recognition through three categories of career achievement (early career, distinguished service, and career)
- Opportunities for leadership in USAS sponsored special projects, programs or publications.
- Annual student awards for Best Oral Presentation, Best Poster Presentation and Best Abstract at national meetings of the USAS and special awards from the RAS Yellow Book Award, Soy Aqauculture Alliance Grant and Sea Grant Student Paper Award as well as a Minority Student Travel Award. Winners of the Travel awards also can participate in the Student Spotlight Award presentation.
- Student leadership through committee functions, including participation in Board activities, sponsorship of social mixers, networking at annual meetings and organization of special projects.
- Special accommodations at USAS hosted or sponsored meetings for eligible students
The cost of becoming a member of the USAS is an annual dues fee of only $5. However, an active membership in our parent organization, the World Aquaculture Society (WAS), is a prerequisite to becoming a member of any of the affiliated Chapters. Dues for the USAS can be included in your WAS membership renewal form or can be sent directly to the WAS Home Office if you are already a member of WAS and would like to join the USAS