Position currently filled. Applications considered for May 2018.
The United States Aquaculture Society (USAS) is a chapter of the World Aquaculture Society (WAS). WAS is a worldwide professional organization dedicated to the exchange of information and networking among the diverse constituencies interested in advancing the aquaculture industry. As WAS becomes more globally involved in providing services and professional development opportunities, the role of USAS is increasingly important for the U.S. aquaculture community. Our mission is to provide a national forum for the exchange of timely information among aquaculture researchers, students, and industry members in the U.S.
The position of Social Media Intern is intended to provide a student or early-career aquaculture professional with the opportunity to connect with other aquaculture professionals and their work. Interns will be able to spotlight their regional perspectives and species of interest, while enhancing and diversifying the USAS’s social media presence.
- Obtain new content and publish to USAS Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- Repost and share content from relevant sites on USAS Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- Update account profile information and customize profile design
- Monitor and respond to comments; engage fans and followers in conversation
- Research and implement new creative strategies for expanding social media reach
- Assist with monitoring and reporting on the success of social media initiatives
Professional Development Opportunities:
- Network with USAS members
- Create and customize profiles and pages on new and existing social media platforms
- Gain experience in communicating to a large audience and representing USAS
- Enthusiastic about social media
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Professional demeanor, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking
- Comfortable utilizing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other social media tools
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to take and upload digital photos and videos
May 1st to April 30th annually.
10 hours/week minimum
Bill Walton, Chair of USAS Social Media Sub-Committee and Sub-Committee members
Internship is unpaid and housing is not provided. Intern will receive one free year membership in World Aquaculture Society and the USAS Chapter, as well as paid registration to the USAS annual meeting
Please send a two-page CV, a description of relevant experience (no more than 500 words), a statement of vision for USAS social media and your unique regional or species-specific perspective (no more than 300 words), and examples of any prior work to Bill Walton.